Friday, October 15, 2010

Blessings, Surprises, and Appreciation

I received a surprise yesterday—a pleasant surprise.

I met with one of my small group leaders and key ministry partners to catch up on some significant things that God has been doing in his life. We talked about life-changing stuff that he has allowed me the privilege of walking through with he and his wife. The stuff that literally changes the course of your faith journey 180 degrees. Awesome, powerful, humbling stuff.

I love those types of meetings, because I am given the amazing opportunity of being ushered into a front-row seat of the amazing work of The Father in someone’s life. As a pastor, this is one of the best perks of my job!

Then something interesting happened. He handed me a card.

The card communicated how much he and his wife have appreciated my friendship and support during this exciting time in their lives. I was humbled. But there’s more. They also included a gift card to a local restaurant for me and my wife to enjoy a night out. What a blessing!

As a pastor, I don’t get many “thank yous”. I know the pastors and ministry directors I work alongside don’t get much positive feedback either. This is not a complaint as much as it is the reality of life in the church today. So, when we do receive a note (or a gift) of appreciation it really ministers to us.

Have you thanked your pastor for his ministry recently? Have you told the person who provides leadership to your small group ministry how important they are to you, your group, and your church?

A little encouragement goes a long way!

No comments: